I told myself weeks and weeks ago that I would write this post. But then life got crazy busy all at once, and I haven't slowed down enough to hardly breathe. No excuses... this was possibly the most magical night of my life up until this point, and I need to record it so that I don't forget. Sorry about the nit-picky details that none of you care about. I care about them, so you get to endure them for my sake.
First off, some back story: The Sunday before the proposal, my dad left late to "go to the church." I had suspicions that he was going to his office to wait for Sam to come talk with him, and my suspicions were confirmed when Sam suddenly had to leave just minutes after my father walked out the door. I just knew he was going to ask for my hand. EEEK! However, my suspicions were shot down when my father got home and I jokingly asked "So what did you and Sam talk about?? ;)" He looked me straight in the face and asked me what in the world I was talking about, and that Sam had not even contacted him about setting up a time to talk. Literally, I have never in my life seen my father lie this well to keep a secret. After a few minutes of heavy duty lying on his part, and me trying really hard not to believe it, I fell for it, and tried to put the idea out of my mind.
Now for the actual day.
On February 3, 2012 (Friday) I remember driving to school with my mom. She had to take me because for some reason I had slept in that day, or I didn't have class... I don't exactly remember. But in the car, I remember talking to her and asking her when she thought Sam would propose. She told me that she honestly didn't know. My mother is an expert secret keeper as well (I guess it just runs in the family...?), and she brainstormed and speculated with me. I told her that there was a small chance it could happen that night, because Sam FINALLY had work off on a Friday night! But probably not... because he hadn't talked to my dad yet right?? RIGHT.
After a normal Friday filled with school and work, Sam picked me up and we went over to his house so that he could clean up a bit (he had just gotten his hair cut). He had made reservations at a restaurant called La Jolla Groves, which neither of us had been to. When we got in the car to go, he said "Ok, so I thought of something for us to do tonight. But it is kind of a surprise. I will give you a clue though." He pulled out a lighter from he back of his car. I immediately asked if we were going to make a fire. He said yes! I was happy (and completely clueless) and excited, I love making fires, and I was just happy to be out with the man I love on a Friday night.
Dinner was fantastic. Sam treated me to Italian soda, an appetizer, and salmon which was absolutely divine. We would have gotten dessert, but both of us were stuffed... so we decided not to. (We even ran into Mica and Adam while we were out!) Now, some of you may be wondering why I had not gotten a clue yet. But in all reality, this was not that unusual for Sam. Whenever we have a scheduled date, he ALWAYS likes to go to nicer places and he ALWAYS gets me whatever I want :) So I assumed he was just being his wonderful self (which he was).
After dinner: we climb in the car again. I asked him where we were going to make the fire. He nervously said "Kaitlyn, I don't know if it is going to work anymore... it's kind of windy outside. Let me tell you the surprise part. I saw paper lanterns at the store for today and picked up a few for us to launch, just for fun. But the wind might make them go out." PAPER LANTERNS. I begged and begged him to just try. After all they were paper lanterns! Just like on Tangled (my favorite Disney movie.. for those who didn't know). At this point I was thinking to myself "He is perfect. Seriously the cutest boyfriend in the world!" We drove to rock canyon park, right behind the Provo temple, and pulled the lanterns out of the trunk. We walked down into the bowl shaped park and onto the cement, and began to unwrap the first one. He asked me if I wanted to light it. I said yes, of course. After some technical difficulties, we finally got it lit, and launched the glowing object into the black sky. It was simply beautiful. By the way, I STILL HAD NO IDEA.... Then, as we were watching our first lantern float higher and higher, Sam softly said "Kaitlyn, look!" I looked to where he was pointing, across the park, behind a large grassy hill. From behind the hill, two more lanterns were gliding softly into the sky. The reality of what was happening hit me like a mac truck, as more and more lanterns popped up from behind the hill. All I could think was "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh..." I was laughing and saying these very thoughts out loud over and over again, while holding onto Sam so tightly that he had to pry me off of him so that he could kneel. He knelt down, pulled out my beautiful ring, and said "Kaitlyn Livingston, will you marry me??" I said YES! He took my hand, slipped on the ring, and then scooped me into his arms for a kiss.
So that's the story! Isn't it fantastic?? It was magical, perfect, beautiful, and so special. I love him more than I can express, and can't wait to be sealed to him forever. 26 Days my friends!
2 comments:
Kaitlyn!! I am sitting in the library reading this, little tears are rolling down my cheek. I feel like such a twerp.. Ha ha! I am SO happy for you! It sounds like it was an Incredibly magical night!!! You deserve the best in the world :)
Kaitlyn, I wish I had your gift for writing :) This is PERFECT. :D Your kids are going to LOVE this!! :D I love you infinity :)
Post a Comment